Middlefield, located in Middlesex County, was so named because it was halfway between Middletown and Durham, and Middletown and Meriden. Middlefield has an abundance of wonderful history that dates back to the late 17th century. Some of the first settlers to Connecticut called Middlefield their home.
The first settlers arrived in the area around 1700 after Samuel Allen, Benjamin Miller, and Samuel Wetmore had reached an agreement with the Indians. It was incorporated as a parish in 1744. A meetinghouse was erected and the Congregational Church was formed in 1747. The Old North Burying Grounds located on Jackson Hill Road was established for these settlers and the first burial was in 1738.
Several industries have been located along the Coginchaug River from the late 1700’s to the present. Early factories were water powered and produced lumber, snuff, black powder, knives, pistols, cotton products, grist, buttons, nails, iron wire, paper, and clothes wringers. In 1866, Middlefield broke away from the City of Middletown and was incorporated by the General Assembly as a separate town. In 1867 The New Haven, Middletown and Willimantic Railroad Company was founded and by 1870 a rail line was constructed. This helped the Middlefield manufacturers move their products to market.
Today Middlefield retains is rural character and charm with a population of about 4,300 residents. Middlefield is home to a number of parks and an abundant supply of open space for recreation.
The “Crown Jewel” of Middlefield. Peckham Park is located in the center of town, off of Strickland Road. This 26+ acre park has baseball and soccer fields, a basketball court, a walking path, exercise stations, a skateboard park, playground, picnic area and pavilion. It is a very popular destination spot for many of Middlesex County. The Peckham Park Pavilion was built by the Middlefield Lions Club and given to the town.
Wadsworth Falls State Park
Wadsworth Falls State Park, or simply Wadsworth Falls, is a Connecticut state park located in the towns of Middletown and Middlefield. The park lies in the northeast corner of Middlefield, and extends across the town border into Middletown with the main entrance on Route 157. The park itself consists of a series of marked trails covering 285 acres (1.15 km2) and is intersected by the Coginchaug River, a tributary of the Connecticut River. Wadsworth Falls is 30 feet (9.1 m) high, with 52 feet (16 m) of water trickling over sandstone along the trail.
Middlefield Dog Park
Mi-DOG (The Middlefield Dog Owners’ Group), in conjunction with Tyler Sibley, a Middlefield Boy Scout with an ambitious Eagle Scout project and the Town of Middlefield, joined forces to raise the funds (and supply the volunteer labor necessary) to construct a beautiful, new dog park here in Middlefield!
The park is located on the beautiful 75 acre open space parcel known as The King Property, nestled on Beseck Mountain. It offers an opportunity for dogs to safely run leash-free, and owners to socialize with other dog lovers. The park consists of about 1 acre of woodland, enclosed with a continuous 5′ tall chain link fence. There are separate fenced areas for both large and small (or timid) dogs.
Powder Hill Dinosaur Park
The Powder Hill Dinosaur Park was originally the site of a summer home for Wesley Coe. Coe granted permission to Middlefield to use the stone on his property to create the Beseck Dam in 1846. While excavating the stone, the footprints were discovered. The park is located on Powder Hill Road in Middlefield.
Lake Beseck Beach located on Lake Road is a private town beach open to residents of Middlefield and Rockfall. Beach Passes are required for admittance. The passes
are available from the Town Clerk at the Town Hall.