Middlefield, located in
Middlesex County, was so named because it was halfway
between Middletown and Durham, and Middletown and
Meriden. Middlefield has an abundance of wonderful
history that dates back to the late 17th
century. Some of the first settlers to Connecticut
called Middlefield their home.
The first settlers
arrived in the area around 1700 after Samuel Allen,
Benjamin Miller, and Samuel Wetmore had reached an
agreement with the Indians. It was incorporated as a
parish in 1744. A meetinghouse was erected and the
Congregational Church was formed in 1747. The Old North
Burying Grounds located on Jackson Hill Road was
established for these settlers and the first burial was
Several industries have
been located along the Coginchaug River from the late
1700’s to the present. Early factories were water
powered and produced lumber, snuff, black powder,
knives, pistols, cotton products, grist, buttons, nails,
iron wire, paper, and clothes wringers. In 1866,
Middlefield broke away from the City of Middletown and
was incorporated by the General Assembly as a separate
town. In 1867 The New Haven, Middletown and Willimantic
Railroad Company was founded and by 1870 a rail line was
constructed. This helped the Middlefield manufacturers
move their products to market.
Middlefield retains is rural character and charm with a
population of about 4,300 residents. Middlefield is
home to a number of parks and an abundant supply of open
space for recreation.
Jewel" of Middlefield. Peckham Park is located in the
center of town, off of Strickland Road. This 26+ acre
park has baseball and soccer fields, a basketball court,
a walking path, exercise stations, a skateboard park,
playground, picnic area and pavilion. It is a very
popular destination spot for many of Middlesex County.
The Peckham Park Pavilion was built by the Middlefield
Lions Club and given to the town.
Wadsworth Falls State
Park, or simply Wadsworth Falls, is a Connecticut state
located in the towns of Middletown and
Middlefield. The park lies in the northeast corner of
Middlefield, and extends across the town border into
Middletown with the main entrance on Route 157. The park
itself consists of a series of marked trails covering
285 acres (1.15 km2) and is intersected by
the Coginchaug River, a tributary of the Connecticut
Wadsworth Falls is 30 feet (9.1 m) high, with 52 feet
(16 m) of water trickling over sandstone along the
Middlefield Dog Owners’ Group), in conjunction with
Tyler Sibley, a Middlefield Boy Scout with an ambitious
Eagle Scout project and the Town of Middlefield, joined
forces to raise the funds (and supply the volunteer
labor necessary) to construct a beautiful, new dog park
here in Middlefield!
The park is located on the beautiful 75 acre open
space parcel known as The King Property, nestled on
Beseck Mountain. It offers an opportunity for dogs to
safely run leash-free, and owners to socialize with
other dog lovers. The park consists of about 1 acre of
woodland, enclosed with a continuous 5' tall chain link
fence. There are separate fenced areas for both large
and small (or timid) dogs.
for more information.
Powder Hill Dinosaur Park
The Powder Hill Dinosaur Park was originally the site
of a summer home for Wesley Coe. Coe granted
permission to Middlefield to use the stone on his
property to create the Beseck Dam in 1846. While
excavating the stone, the footprints were discovered.
The park is located on Powder Hill Road in Middlefield.
Lake Beseck Beach located
on Lake Road is a private town beach open to residents
of Middlefield and Rockfall. Beach Passes are required
for admittance. The passes
are available from the Town Clerk at the Town Hall.